Example volunteer opportunity page
Introduction to the volunteer opportunityDes
We cover 26 Local Authorities across Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Liverpool City Region and we are looking for an Eyes & Ears Volunteer for each Local Authority.
• investigating planning applications which have a significant impact upon the countryside and helping us to influence their outcome
• visiting the local planning offices to look at plans and record details
• reviewing plans, applications and other consultations on the internet
• visiting sites and recording details
• sharing the information, and your thoughts, with CPRE Planning team
As your skills develop you will be encouraged and supported to:
• draft letters to the local planning authority
• research planning policy and best practice
• liaise with parish councils, district councils and other conservation bodies
• assist in the preparation of responses to wider consultations, including planning appeals
• contribute to our Planning Team/Policy Committee and assist CPRE in planning research.
This role does not require any previous experience with planning, as training and guidance will be provided.
What we need from you:
You will be home-based, carrying out activities around your other commitments. We keep in regular contact via phone and/or email to discuss progress and to provide support. You would also be encouraged to attend group meetings.
This is an opportunity to be involved in a vital aspect of our work. You will gain satisfaction from investigating local concerns, improve your knowledge of the planning system, meet local people and feel part of a friendly and passionate group.
Ideally, we hope that you can offer us most of the qualities described below:
• a strong interest in the countryside
• an understanding of the planning system (or be willing to learn)
• an interest in investigative work, with an eye for detail
• a desire to share your knowledge with others in the branch
• good communication skills – written and verbal
• can attend meetings or, when not possible, can provide updates for meetings
• computer literate – the internet, e-mail and MS Word or equivalent
As a guide, we anticipate this voluntary role will take 1-2 hours per week.
What’s in it for you?
CPRE volunteers are motivated to help for a range of reasons, but normally they have a strong interest in protecting and enhancing the environment, as well as encouraging people to enjoy the countryside and all it has to offer.
• A great opportunity to use your existing experience and to develop new skills
• Working with others to make a difference both locally and nationally
• The potential to meet and discuss issues with a wide range of like-minded people
• Opportunities to attend local and national CPRE activities, events and workshops
The role is voluntary although we will pay all out-of-pocket expenses with prior agreement, in line with our Volunteers Policy.
If you would like to apply for the role, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For further information, please send us an email with your questions or call us on 01772 378831.
You can also download the role description as a PDF document via the link below.
The English countryside is wonderful – help us to look after it.